Sunday 19 April 2009

Voting...Internationally

So... my beloved country has its general elections in three days.

And, it is going to be a fairly important one...what with the man who is president of the current ruling party having had a few hundred criminal charges just dropped against him some short weeks ago...

A ruling was overturned, allowing for South Africans temporarily out of the country to vote abroad - if you qualified that is. Initially I thought I'd missed the deadline - and I had - but they moved it, so I took the chance and was approved.


Wednesday past I made my way to London Town to have my say in the future of my country! Many people will argue that expats should not be allowed to vote for numerous reasons - like they don't live there...and have no idea what's really going on in the country.

Having come across a few South Africans...and other nationalities...who've not been home for years and years....they may not know all the nitty gritty, and they may, or may not, have family still living at home...but wherever you are in the globe - the country you were born in, and where you were developed as a person - it remains home.

Always will.

And because of this - what happens in your country will always always matter. Having a minuscule say - it is important.


I was in more than two minds about this election and the opportunity to vote internationally. The one thing I was determined to do was vote because I am headed home - and I firmly believe that not voting means you have no right in complaining about what the government does or doesn't do right or wrong!


I had resigned myself to having to just go home, and be - for five years before being allowed to have my say...but now that won't be necessary as I have had my say. It was a momentous occasion... one I've still not fully processed. It is one I'm glad I had the opportunity to be part of ... standing with other South Africans, for an average of two hours before entering the High Commission - South Africa House - on Trafalgar Square.



Many amused Brits and tourists looked at the queue of people and asked what we were waiting for...and the answer was met with a 'Oh' and off they went about their business...be it being a tourist or grabbing lunch.
There was quite a positive atmosphere, and everyone waited patiently for their opportunity to make their X!


They only allowed 50 people in to the embassy at a time... I was very tempted to take photos of the patient waiting indoors, but I probably would've been told off, so didn't try!

I received my indelible ink mark on my left thumb and my ballot sheet - the man who stamped my ID told me 'Well done, I see you've voted in all the elections,' since I've been legal that is... made my X, double sealed in two envelopes, dropped it in the ballot box and made my way out.

There were two security guards standing just inside the door we exited from and one asked me what was wrong - I was mulling over the huge moment of actually taking part in my country's national elections in a foreign country! - I just shook my head I think...and then he asked me whether I was old enough to vote...I mean seriously.

S.E.R.I.O.U.S.L.Y!

I replied with...Sir, I am twenty five. And proceeded to walk out.

(this being thought I'm way younger than what I am is fast getting old...and everyone telling me you'll appreciate it when you're older just annoys me to no end...you are not the first person to say that to me...I recognise this...I even appreciate it...but the commentary...enough! Pick on something else - not that I apparently look seven years, if not more, younger than my actual age)

Happy I'd done my duty as a S.African citizen...I made my way to Regent's Park to soak up some of the summer sun, before catching a train back to Brum...

No comments: