Wednesday 29 July 2009

Imminent Homecoming


My time in the UK has come to an end.

After eighteen months, surviving shitty weather, awesome travel experiences and gaining new interests I am headed back home.

Change is never easy, despite it being constant. And I've experienced many changes of the past eighteen months. Least of all, growing as an individual.

I've been asked a number times now what I think of the UK - the time to leave it fast approaching (the time being tomorrow!).

My reply has been:

I don't like the weather. Because I don't! It's iffy at best...and just about mildly warm in summer. Right now, it's raining. And cold. And the same temperatures as it is back home where it's winter. But back home...there is sunshine! The Brits cannot deal with temperature extremes. Apparently 25 centigrade is a heat wave (summer, as those in the Southern Hemisphere would call it, lasting all of about 2 weeks this year) and when it snows, London comes to a standstill. Case in point: London in February this year when the UK had their heaviest snowfall in however many years it was. No buses, no tube, no train, major delays at the airports... ridiculous really.

I made the decision months ago that I'll be headed home. And I'm happy I've made it. As much as there's plenty of opportunities here in the UK - like going to Paris for a weekend if you so wish - it's not all about earning pounds. Although money does make the world plod along, there's more to life than just that.

Back to what I think of the UK...

It's been good. I've learned lots and successfully accomplished my goals upon entering the country a year and a half ago - gain work experience and travel.

I've more than successfully accomplished them! And I've gained two new loves :)

[side note: you know it's time to return home when you start complaining about a public transport that works...when your country of origin barely has one that functions. Bring on a car...I miss driving!]

How I feel about returning home...excitement and dread.

Starting from scratch is not something I relish (nor is living at home again, even if interim), but it is something that needs doing. All part of my choice and right now I have no idea how things are going to work out, but I trust that they will.

More change.

My one constant.

I've mentioned time and again - the travel bug, it's bitten. And I have the opportunity I've had to live and work in the UK to thank for that. This experience has just filled my mind with 'travel goals'... now, just to figure out how to get the goals out of my head, and into reality.

I've been blessed and fortunate in my time here.

Cheers England.


3 comments:

ami said...

Oh the 25 centigrade heatwave made me chuckle. I wonder what they call 32 centigrade? (Btw, that's the average heatwave temperature here)

I like your blog I found it via 20something.

gudgirl18 said...

they would melt at 32 centigrade...temps back in SA routinely reach high twenties & early thirties when summer is at it's peak

and thanks:)

Jill said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the UK! I spend a college semester there in 2006. :D