Tuesday 22 December 2009

My favourite City

It's been a while... transitions ain't easy, but I've settled in to it (and one can't really get up to much when searching for employment).

Just for more change to occur (and I shouldn't be surprised!).

I now have a vehicle (yay) and a job starting in the new year (yay) that requires me to move...not so yay but required.

A couple of weeks ago
finally made my way down to the Cape. The first time in nearly two years, and of course the first opportunity I've had since I've been back in SA.

Cape Town is by far my favourite city!
(although I think one day I'll have to have a fav city per continent...for now I'll just stick to CT being my fav).

The occasion - my sibling's graduation!

Graduating is always quite momentous despite the actual event being bum-numbing.

(It was also a not-so-subtle that I really am getting older despite not feeling like I'm in my mid-twenties; and then next month I officially enter my late twenties! eek...I think)

The Cape was glorious for the two week period I was there. I have missed my mountain

Our time in the Cape was spread between Stellenbosch, the Strand, Gordon's Bay, Genadendal and of course Cape Town itself.

There really is nothing like the South African sunshine, and we had plenty of it.

How does one begin to describe Cape Town?

For some, it's just a place to visit.

For others, it captures your heart and it's where you want to live.

Three guesses under which category I fall and the first two don't count.

The Cape has mountains, the ocean and winelands...a rare combination to be found in one place don't you think?

The best way I know to describe anything is of course via pictures

Freshly caught fish...and then of course one has to have SNOEK!

A trip to the Cape is not complete without having this yummy fish at least one (I really have NO idea what the English name is).

The Strand has a beautiful beach (and it's also a whole lot warmer than the beaches found in Cape Town like Camp's Bay & Clifton.


Fishermen at Sunset.

Stellenbosch is a town in the Winelands, and of course a student town (and where my sibling graduated from the University of Stellenbosch)

Onward to Genadendal - the first missionary in South Africa. It's a historical town, and the missionary station established there was Moravian. The Church is still there and there's a museum with the history of the town.

Gordon's Bay and the Strand are so close one may be forgiven for thinking they're the same place. The beach is not as great as the Strand, but being right on the beach front is always awesome.

Had some great finds...











Then there's Cape Town...


From the District Six Museum ( a must! www.districtsix.co.za) to the Cape Coons (also known as the Cape Minstrels)



And let's not forget Simon's Town (with Boulder's Beach and it's penguin's although I didn't go this visit)
That, more or less covers my wee cape visit (for more find me on flickr; I've embarked upon a 365 project - some days I have inspiration, others not so much, but I'm beyond Day 100 so it's all good).

My parting photographic gift: panoramic of Cape Town, as viewed from Silver Mines Nature Reserve


3 comments:

Lorien said...

I think the picture of the fisherman holding up his catch is my favorite! It's so dynamic! I'm horrid at taking portraits, so I'm quite impressed that you were able to capture him so well!

gudgirl18 said...

Thanks Lorien :)

Was taken by chance - he posed for me while I was photographing the freshly caught fish.

I'm working on taking portraits - I'm usually way too shy to ask anyone in the street if they'd mind me capturing them on camera.

He was quite a character too!

Easy people to capture on camera are street performers -it's also a way of breaking the ice and working towards taking good portraits (my aim)

Sy said...

love your photos